Luka Lindič

First Free Ascent of Rolling Stones

The routes up the north face of the Grandes Jorasses evoke such descriptive words as "hard" and "committing". Looking for a new challenge, Slovenian climbers Luka Lindič and Luka Krajnc took advantage of a recent window of stable weather to make the first free ascent of a now former aid route. Three cold days on the daunting 1000 meter high face is all it took.

Luka Krajnc
Luka Krajnc

After an entire winter of unstable weather I checked the forecast once again, just in case. Wow, the forecast looked great! I called Luka Krajnc, my partner from Slovenia and we were soon on our way to Chamonix. Our first plan was to climb the Gousseault-Desmaison route on the north face of the Grandes Jorasses. The day before we left we received information that two other parties were planning to climb the same route just before us. Since we are not particularly fond of the "herd effect," where several parties follow each other up the same route, we decided to change our objective and attempt Rolling Stones, an even harder route up the same face that had still yet to be free-climbed.

Committing, harder than planned, scary, what else!

On the first day we made the approach on skis carrying huge packs. We pitched a small tent just below the route and enjoyed evening views of the entire face. Our plan was clear. We would attempt to free climb the whole route. We had no idea if it was possible, but we tend to like the uncertainty of this kind of adventures. The next morning we started climbing what we thought would be only three-day climb. The second pitch already proved extremely steep and we were moving slower than planned. After a full day of climbing we chiseled out a ledge in a small section of ice and prepared for an uncomfortable night.
The next morning we were not very optimistic, tired, and the steepest part was still to come. After a tricky traverse pitch onto really steep terrain, we completely committed to the route. Through the end of the day we climbed one hard pitch after another, and luckily found a nice ledge to bivy. The rays of morning sunlight helped prepare us to battle the crux part of the route just ahead. After two steep pitches to warm up, we arrived at the belay below the route's hardest pitch, rated A3. Since it did not look too daunting, I managed to calm down and just go for it. The first part was straightforward with good protection. After an old rusty bolt the pitch steepened. To add to the challenge there were three huge loose blocks, a scary proposition since we were climbing with a single rope. Somewhat scared, I gingerly climbed up and around these blocks, choosing not to place any protection for a few meters. I could hear the blocks making strange noises as they shifted. After another few very careful minutes of climbing I was at the belay. Yes! I did it! The next two pitches were less committing and difficult, but far from easy. Although we only climbed seven pitches that day, we set up at our third bivy on the face with wide smiles across our faces. We had free climbed the crux of the route. The evening was pleasant, and since the rest of the route ascended much "easier" terrain, we could already taste victory.